Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2013

10 Minute, DIY, No-Sew Maternity Tunic!

Ahhh... maternity-wear.  Such a sticky, touchy subject.  You wanna wear it, and you kinda want people to know you're finally wearing it, but you also want to look cute, and like "you".
So you buy some, refashion some things you already have, and you can... DIY!
I found this adorable, and super simple DIY maternity tunic at abeautifulmess.com.  Their instructions are really easy to follow, but I'll give you my instructions here as well.  The more the merrier! :)

You will need:
2 yards of jersey knit fabric
Bust, or someone to stand still for a couple minutes, who is approx. your size
Scissors
Exacto knife
Belt/ribbon

So, the first thing you'll want to do, is go to a fabric store, and pick out a jersey knit you like, and buy 2 yards of it.  Jersey isn't expensive, the one I bought was 6.99 a yard.  


I chose gray, because it's an elegant color that goes with a lot, and it's very versatile.
I happen to have a bust, because my fabulous mother-in-law gave me one.  Having a sweet friend, or a helpful husband works just as well.  


The first step is, to find the middle of the fabric.  The same thing that makes jersey so scrumptious also makes it hard to deal with.  it's hard to find a definite "middle".  


Once you find it, line that up with the middle of the back of the neck of the bust, and drape it to the front, to how you want it to eventually lay.


Pull out the edges, to ensure that your material is as centered as possible.


Tie a belt, or ribbon under the bust line, so it'll be as accurate as possible.


I used an exacto knife to start the arm holes.  The original instructions say to cut a 5 inch slit, I say make it 6 inches.  We don't all have spaghetti arms, plus, I think it's more comfortable.



Basically, you're done!  All that's left is evening out the bottom.  and then...
Wear it!!!



Baby Aidan is the size of a papaya!!!


I really liked it with the black leggings, black belt, sweater, boots and chunky necklace.  I kept it simple with the monochromatic colors, but you could and SHOULD mix it up with some color!
I plan on wearing this for our Blair family pictures in a month or so, and I'm going to mix it with navy, yellow and brown, so I'll let you know how that goes! :)

Here's some extra ideas:
- You can leave the tails long, or cut them shorter, whichever suits you best!
- This is a really quick and easy way to look pulled together, even on days when you feel as big as a house.
- Try a patterned jersey!  Be adventurous!  
- This is a super easy and inexpensive gift for a friend who is pregnant!
- This doesn't only have to be a maternity look!  I'm totally wearing this after Aidan arrives!

Hope you enjoy this tutorial, that your project brightens your day, and makes you feel as beautiful, pulled together and rockin' as you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment